As so many people in the country we have been watching the news coming out of Oklahoma. Our hearts go out to the families that have lost loved ones, people who have lost their homes or their businesses, and everyone affected by the tornado. We wish a speedy recovery to all of those who were injured.
In crisis like the one in Oklahoma domes can make great temporary disaster shelters. A 16’ dome can be built in three hours by two people with only basic hand tools and no heavy equipment. Speedy efficient shelter becomes a high priority in this kind of a disaster until homes can be rebuilt. Our steel frames are also hurricane rated. A heavy duty frame, when properly anchored, can withstand winds of up to 160 miles per hour (our standard frame is rated up to 100 miles per hour.) Making domes very secure and stable structures. Consider a dome as part of your family’s disaster readiness plan.
During non-disaster times domes can also make great spaces on your property for extra storage, art / yoga studios, or a guesthouse.
If you have family in the affected area that you cannot reach the Red Cross has set up a web site to allow people to find their relatives. We hope that if you are going to this site you find good news.
Here are some general safety tips from the CDC if you are currently in the affected area:
- Continue to monitor your battery-powered radio or television for emergency information.
- Be careful when entering any structure that has been damaged.
- Wear sturdy shoes or boots, long sleeves, and gloves when handling or walking on or near debris.
- Be aware of hazards from exposed nails and broken glass.
- Do not touch downed power lines or objects in contact with downed lines. Report electrical hazards to the police and the utility company.
- Use battery-powered lanterns, if possible, rather than candles to light homes without electrical power. If you use candles, make sure they are in safe holders away from curtains, paper, wood, or other flammable items. Never leave a candle burning when you are out of the room.
- Never use generators, pressure washers, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, garage, or camper—or even outside near an open window, door, or vent. Carbon monoxide (CO)–an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death if you breathe it–from these sources can build up in your home, garage, or camper and poison the people and animals inside. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.
- Hang up displaced telephone receivers that may have been knocked off by the tornado, but stay off the telephone, except to report an emergency.
- Cooperate fully with public safety officials.
- Respond to requests for volunteer assistance by police, fire fighters, emergency management, and relief organizations, but do not go into damaged areas unless assistance has been requested. Your presence could hamper relief efforts, and you could endanger yourself.
- After a tornado, be aware of possible structural, electrical, or gas-leak hazards in your home. Contact your local city or county building inspectors for information on structural safety codes and standards. They may also offer suggestions on finding a qualified contractor to do work for you.
- In general, if you suspect any damage to your home, shut off electrical power, natural gas, and propane tanks to avoid fire, electrocution, or explosions.
- If it is dark when you are inspecting your home, use a flashlight rather than a candle or torch to avoid the risk of fire or explosion in a damaged home.
- If you see frayed wiring or sparks, or if there is an odor of something burning, you should immediately shut off the electrical system at the main circuit breaker if you have not done so already.
- If you smell gas or suspect a leak, turn off the main gas valve, open all windows, and leave the house immediately. Notify the gas company, the police or fire departments, or State Fire Marshal’s office, and do not turn on the lights, light matches, smoke, or do anything that could cause a spark. Do not return to your house until you are told it is safe to do so.